Whatever you do in life, criticism is one of the ways some people will ever respond or react to you. There is no one who is reading this post right now that may not have faced criticisms in one way or another.
It is okay if the criticisms are positive, because positive criticisms give room for process or self improvements. However, it is another kettle of fish if the criticisms are largely negative.
No matter how nice you are, not everyone will be happy for you when you succeed. Naturally, because they are not happy at your good fortunes, the next thing they will try to do is to churn out negative criticisms against you.
Negative criticisms are not sweet pills to swallow, but you will keep getting them. That is because you cannot control people’s thoughts, words and reactions towards you.
The best thing to do is to learn how to how negative criticisms when they come so that you don’t have to be so frustrated by them. Understanding why people criticise you negatively, will position you better to be able to handle the unpleasant and such inconveniencing situations when they do arise.
One of the ways to appropriately manage negative criticisms is to know why people harshly criticise you in the first. So let us consider the question,
Why do people criticise you negatively?
In a recent post I made on Facebook, I opined that “The fact that some people criticise you does not mean that they hate you; they might just be jealous.”
It was my little way of saying that negative criticisms can stem from pure hatred or concealed jealousy. Obviously, there could be other reasons.
To expand the discussion, I asked the question across my social media handles, “Why do some people criticise you negatively? Any ideas please?”
A follower who responded to the post via my Instagram handle, suggested that some people may criticise you because either they feel intimidated by you or they are afraid of you.
Thanks to that respondent, because in addition to hatred and jealousy, we can see that people may also criticise you because they feel intimidated by you or are out-rightly afraid of you.
Responses from Facebook
I received some responses via Facebook comments as well. In the following paragraphs, I will share with you the thoughts of some people that commented:
- “They [criticise me negatively in order] to bring my morale down. They also know they don’t know and have what I’ve got.”
- “Negative criticism is an excuse from a lazy person. Because he cannot attain that level which you are, the only encouragement he gives to himself is to criticise u negatively.”
- “Some criticise you out of jealousy and some due to lack of understanding.”
- “Complex, self defence, jealousy and ignorance I think.”
- “Just out of envy and jealousy and hate.”
“They do so Primarily out of envy, ignorance & lack of understanding.”
- “Sometimes they may not understand me. Sometimes they may be misinformed about me. Sometimes is in their nature . Sometimes they just want to get my attention. Sometimes it just happens like that.”
- “Some criticise you out of mere jealousy, while some others criticise you based on what they have heard about you.”\
Let us hear your thoughts as well. Why do people criticise you negatively?
©Copyright 2017 | Victor Uyanwanne